How do you know if a child needs extra help?

All children at West Buckland Primary School are monitored closely by their class teachers. This is done through on-going monitoring and assessment and regular Pupil Progress Meetings to discuss individual needs and progress. We have developed a graduated response to identifying children with needs. Initially this is completed by the class teacher to ensure needs are being met within the class. If the class teacher feels the child still isn’t making the required progress, they will be discussed with the Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). Assessments may be carried out and if necessary children will be referred to external agencies for further assessment with the consent of the parents. If parents have any concerns, they should see the class teacher in the first instance. Teachers are available for brief discussions at the beginning or end of the day. An appointment can be made if a more detailed discussion is needed.

How will the school support my child?

The class teacher is responsible for your child’s education. They will oversee, plan and work with each child with additional needs in the class to ensure that progress in every area is made. Our SENCo oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional needs across the school. There may be a teaching assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group. If this is above the normal support given in the class, a letter will be sent home indicating the additional support provided and an opportunity to discuss this with the class teacher will be provided.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access it according to their specific needs. A range of strategies are employed by the teaching staff to support all children in their learning. It may be adult or peer support, a differentiated learning outcome or method of recording for example.

How will I know how my child is doing?

There are parents’ evenings in the autumn and spring terms and reports are written in the summer term. All parents will receive a username and password to access their child’s online report on our tracking system School Pupil Tracker Online (SPTO). In addition to this, children with complex needs or in receipt of an Education, Health and Care Plan will have an annual review meeting to inform and plan for next steps.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

In addition to support received for academic subjects, there is a range of pastoral support available. We have a school ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant), who is trained to support children to develop their emotional literacy. We also have a Parent and Family Support Advisor (PFSA) who can work with children and families. Specific support plans will be put into place for children experiencing difficulties with behaviour and those needing medical support or intimate care.

What are the specialist services that the school can access?

When a child has a specific need, we access county services such as Educational Psychology, Learning Support Services and behavioural advisors (listed on the back page). We also access advice for physical impairments and medical conditions, including hearing and vision support. We can access Speech and Language Therapists, physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists via the NHS when needed.

How accessible is the School environment?

Much of the school site is wheelchair accessible. There are wheelchair toilet facilities. All children have the right to access class trips wherever it is safe for them to do so. For those children with additional needs, alternative provision can be made, for example, additional adult support, alternative travel arrangements, or alternative arrangements for the administration of medicines.

How will the School support my child’s transitions to a new setting?

Prior to starting in Reception, children identified as having Special Educational Needs will have a School Entry Planning meeting. This will be attended by you, pre-school staff, school staff and any external professionals involved in supporting your child. It plans out how all concerned can make the transition to school as smooth as possible. For children with medical needs, this will include identifying staff training needs to ensure your child’s needs are fully met. All families will be invited to a new parents meeting to gather information. The Reception teacher and at times the SENCo will also visit pre-schools to meet the children in a familiar setting. All children will be invited to attend transition afternoons to ensure they are familiar with the staff and the setting in advance.

On moving to Secondary School, children in Year 6 with additional needs are discussed with the SENCo at the Secondary School once places have been allocated. Additional visits can be organised by the Secondary School for children with additional needs, and members of staff from the secondary school may visit your child here. If your child has complex needs, an Annual Review meeting will happen in the summer term and a representative from the secondary school will be invited to attend.

What training is provided for support staff who work with children with SEN?

All TAs who work with individuals or groups of children on interventions will have received training to deliver the sessions. These sessions are overseen by the Class Teacher and SENCo to monitor the progress of the children. Where additional specific training is required to address a child’s individual needs, the school brings in external trainers to deliver this.

Interventions our team are currently trained to offer include:

  • Talk Boost
  • Spelling Detectives
  • Inference
  • ILI (Individualised Literacy Intervention)
  • Precision teaching
  • Creative therapies – Draw and Talk
  • Talkabout
  • ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant)
  • Power of 2 (maths skills)
  • Speed up (handwriting)
How are the School’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

We ensure that all children who have Special Educational Needs are met to the best of the School’s ability with the funds available. We have a team of TAs who are funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes to meet groups and individual needs. The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support often involving a TA.

Who do I see if I am worried?
  • Speak to your child’s class teacher.
  • If you are still concerned you can make an appointment to meet the SENCo (Jo Littlechild)
  • If you feel matters are still not resolved, you can make an appointment with the Headteacher to discuss your concerns.
Who might work with my child?

A range of outside professionals might be called in to support the school in providing the best opportunities for every child. These include:

  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Learning Support Advisory Teachers
  • Social, Emotional and Behavioural Advisory Teachers
  • Physical Impairment and Medical Support
  • Hearing or vision Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Autism and Communication Advisors